20.1.09

'inaugural' quilt



i started working on my first quilt last week. i was so excited because quilts are something that i LOVE and i've always wanted to make my own. i had bought the fabrics for it before christmas at quiltology and, with christmas and birthday sewing projects complete, was able to begin. i decided to start with amy karol's "easy lap quilt" since my sister had so much luck with it in making her daughter's baby quilt. so, i had a great pattern and great fabrics -- where did i go wrong?? well, i decided to adjust things a bit. normally i think this is an excellent thing to do -- but perhaps i should have waited until i was a bit more... experienced. anyways, i wanted the quilt to be a bit bigger so i could really cuddle up in it with my hubby on the sofa. so i increased the length and width -- fine -- but then decided to play around with the patterned pieces. i should have left them all one (perhaps longer?) length, but made two lengths instead and interspersed them on my quilt. et voila, my overly busy, but still not terrible, first quilt top.

i LOVE the back though. probably because it is just simple. i used quiltology's tutorial to put that part together.

so, it isn't terrible, just not my 'dream quilt'. just have to sandwich and quilt it and then i can move on to the next one :)

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I think the quilt is beautiful. Great job! Each one is special. Great job!

    Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete